July 2018 - June 2019
Waverly Health Center continues to see growth and opportunities to serve the community in new ways. This is primarily due to the commitment of area residents to select WHC as its provider of choice. We are also blessed to have a terrific medical staff, many talented employees, a committed governing board and an energetic group of volunteers.
A large part of the 2019 fiscal year was dedicated to developing our future building plans. The leadership team spent countless hours working with providers, staff members, patients, community members and architects in designing a building that will enable us to serve the community for many years to come. The end result will be incredible and I can’t wait to share our progress as we move into construction.
We are fortunate to be an independent hospital. It allows us to make decisions locally based on the needs of our region. In 2019 we expanded our orthopedic services working together with Cedar Valley Medical Specialists doctors Robert Bartelt and Jeff Clark. We also welcomed five new health center-employed providers to strengthen our clinics and hospital services. An exciting new program for us is the Healthy You Surgical Weight Loss Program with Dr. J. Matthew Glascock.
We have turned the corner to a new decade and it is somewhat daunting, but also exciting. Change is constant and we are striving every day to anticipate how we need to adapt so our patients can flourish and attain their optimal state of wellness.
Thank you for trusting us with your health care needs.
My best regards,
Jim Atty, FACHE
Medical Staff Updates
Five health care providers joined WHC’s medical staff from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019.
Colin DeFord, DO
Dr. DeFord received his doctor of osteopathy degree from Des Moines University. He completed his family practice residency at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, NE.
Barbara Weno, MD, FACOG
Dr. Weno received her medical degree from the University of Iowa. She completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Iowa.
Katelyn Froehner, ARNP
Ms. Froehner received her bachelor of science in nursing degree from Luther College and her advanced nurse practitioner degree from Allen College.
Dr. J. Matthew Glascock, MD
General Surgery Clinic
Dr. Glascock received his medical degree from the University of Iowa. He completed his internship and residency at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pittsburgh, PA.
LeeAnn Hoodjer, PMHNO-BC
Shell Rock Clinic
Ms. Hoodjer received her bachelor of science in nursing degree and her master of science in nursing degree from Allen College. She received her psychiatric nurse practitioner degree from Rush University in Chicago, IL.
Gifts to the Foundation
2018 - 2019 Highlights
- Dr. Colin DeFord joins the Nashua Clinic
- Dr. J. Matthew Glascock joins the General Surgery Clinic and starts the Healthy You Surgical Weight Loss Program
- Dr. Barbara Weno joins the Women’s Clinic
- Cedar Valley Orthopedics at Waverly Health Center opens
- WHC is unanimously awarded the Gold-Level of Certification for Person-Centered Care by Planetree, Inc.
- Chronic Care Management Program in clinics starts
- Board of Trustees approves master facility plan and project moves into programming phase
- Jodi Geerts, MBA, BSN, RN, CPHQ, joins WHC as the chief nursing officer
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation is re-accredited by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR)
- Janesville Clinic is designated a Rural Health Clinic
- Katelyn Froehner, ARNP, joins the emergency department
- CEO Jim Atty receives the Iowa Hospital Association's Young Executive Achievement Award
- LeeAnn Hoodjer, PMHNP, joins Shell Rock Clinic behavioral health services
- Waverly City Council approves $27 million bond purchase for building project interim financing
- Board of Trustees approves moving into schematic design phase of the building project
- WHC publicly announces a $36 million dollar building project to replace the emergency department and outpatient medical services, create more clinic space, and improve wayfinding
- First $50,000 pledge for the Beyond the Building capital campaign is received
- Danielle Barth, MSN, RN, nursing administration, was named WHC’s 2019 Excellence in Nursing award winner
- Dr. John Ebensberger, emergency department, receives Spirit of Volunteerism award
- WHC begins planning for major hospital electronic medical record upgrade
- Board of Trustees approves moving into design development phase for the building project
- Nick Schutte, BSN, RN, medical-surgical, receives a 100 Great Iowa Nurses award
- Michelle Ferguson, medical-surgical, receives the 2019 Friend of Nursing award
- Sharon Cashman, RPh, pharmacy manager, is selected as the Health System Pharmacist of the Year by the Iowa Pharmacy Association
- Cardiovascular services attains re-accreditation by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission
- Waverly Health Center Auxiliary pledges $65,000 for the Beyond the Building capital campaign