CCBot/2.0 ( ( [SERVER_SOFTWARE] => Apache [REQUEST_URI] => /testimonial/amy-hunzelman/ [USER] => betdoc2019whc [HOME] => /home/betdoc2019whc [SCRIPT_NAME] => /index.php [QUERY_STRING] => [REQUEST_METHOD] => GET [SERVER_PROTOCOL] => HTTP/1.1 [GATEWAY_INTERFACE] => CGI/1.1 [REDIRECT_URL] => /testimonial/amy-hunzelman/ [REMOTE_PORT] => 33140 [SCRIPT_FILENAME] => /home/betdoc2019whc/public_html/index.php [SERVER_ADMIN] => [CONTEXT_DOCUMENT_ROOT] => /home/betdoc2019whc/public_html [CONTEXT_PREFIX] => [REQUEST_SCHEME] => https [DOCUMENT_ROOT] => /home/betdoc2019whc/public_html [REMOTE_ADDR] => [SERVER_PORT] => 443 [SERVER_ADDR] => [SERVER_NAME] => [SERVER_SIGNATURE] => [PATH] => /usr/local/jdk/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:/opt/bin [HTTP_X_HTTPS] => 1 [HTTP_CONNECTION] => Keep-Alive [HTTP_HOST] => [HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING] => br,gzip [HTTP_IF_MODIFIED_SINCE] => Fri, 01 Jul 2022 04:57:45 GMT [HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE] => en-US,en;q=0.5 [HTTP_ACCEPT] => text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8 [HTTP_USER_AGENT] => CCBot/2.0 ( [proxy-nokeepalive] => 1 [SSL_TLS_SNI] => [HTTPS] => on [HTTP_AUTHORIZATION] => [SCRIPT_URI] => [SCRIPT_URL] => /testimonial/amy-hunzelman/ [UNIQUE_ID] => Y9Mr01T6fuBc0KVCoZJO6wAAAVY [REDIRECT_STATUS] => 200 [REDIRECT_SSL_TLS_SNI] => [REDIRECT_HTTPS] => on [REDIRECT_HTTP_AUTHORIZATION] => [REDIRECT_SCRIPT_URI] => [REDIRECT_SCRIPT_URL] => /testimonial/amy-hunzelman/ [REDIRECT_UNIQUE_ID] => Y9Mr01T6fuBc0KVCoZJO6wAAAVY [FCGI_ROLE] => RESPONDER [PHP_SELF] => /index.php [REQUEST_TIME_FLOAT] => 1674783699.8573 [REQUEST_TIME] => 1674783699 [argv] => Array ( ) [argc] => 0 )

312 9th Street SW, Waverly, Iowa 50677

(319) 352-4120


Amy Hunzelman

When traveling for work, Amy Hunzelman of Waverly never thought her final stop would be at the hospital. Amy first had abdominal pain and nausea while out of town for work. After landing at the Waterloo airport, she went straight to Waverly Health Center’s emergency room (ED). The team in the ED started lab tests and ordered a CT scan.

“The ED staff did a phenomenal job at keeping me as comfortable as could be, updating me on my condition and helping me prepare for surgery,” Amy stated. Her husband arrived shortly after she was in the ED. He was quickly brought up to speed on her issue so Amy could go to surgery. Amy’s appendix had perforated and needed to be removed.

Dr. Troy Ivey, general surgeon, performed the surgery. Amy continued, “The on-call surgery team was incredibly nice and accommodating to my pain and needs. Having had surgery at the health center before, I knew the level of care I would receive and only wanted to be treated there.”

Amy wasn’t prepared for a week-long hospital stay, but received the best care from nurses, doctors and staff. “I took advantage of the massage and music therapy services. I greatly appreciated both of these and was pleasantly surprised with the comfort the music therapist provided. She sang a few gentle songs with guided meditation which put my mind at ease,” Amy added.

Amy’s mother, stayed with her with entire time including nights. “The staff and nurses were also very accommodating to my mother. They often checked in with her to see if she needed anything to eat, extra blankets or pillows, or even toiletries,” she said.

“Upon entering my room after surgery, a drawing on the wall was the first thing I noticed.  The child’s drawing of a rainbow brightened my spirits each day and allowed me to focus on healing and recovering,” she ended.