CCBot/2.0 ( ( [SERVER_SOFTWARE] => Apache [REQUEST_URI] => /testimonial/val-degroote/ [USER] => betdoc2019whc [HOME] => /home/betdoc2019whc [SCRIPT_NAME] => /index.php [QUERY_STRING] => [REQUEST_METHOD] => GET [SERVER_PROTOCOL] => HTTP/1.1 [GATEWAY_INTERFACE] => CGI/1.1 [REDIRECT_URL] => /testimonial/val-degroote/ [REMOTE_PORT] => 59736 [SCRIPT_FILENAME] => /home/betdoc2019whc/public_html/index.php [SERVER_ADMIN] => [CONTEXT_DOCUMENT_ROOT] => /home/betdoc2019whc/public_html [CONTEXT_PREFIX] => [REQUEST_SCHEME] => https [DOCUMENT_ROOT] => /home/betdoc2019whc/public_html [REMOTE_ADDR] => [SERVER_PORT] => 443 [SERVER_ADDR] => [SERVER_NAME] => [SERVER_SIGNATURE] => [PATH] => /usr/local/jdk/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:/opt/bin [HTTP_X_HTTPS] => 1 [HTTP_CONNECTION] => Keep-Alive [HTTP_HOST] => [HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING] => br,gzip [HTTP_IF_MODIFIED_SINCE] => Fri, 01 Jul 2022 04:54:01 GMT [HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE] => en-US,en;q=0.5 [HTTP_ACCEPT] => text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8 [HTTP_USER_AGENT] => CCBot/2.0 ( [proxy-nokeepalive] => 1 [SSL_TLS_SNI] => [HTTPS] => on [HTTP_AUTHORIZATION] => [SCRIPT_URI] => [SCRIPT_URL] => /testimonial/val-degroote/ [UNIQUE_ID] => Y9MrJh1AkDaiA2JAOaZTXQAAAFE [REDIRECT_STATUS] => 200 [REDIRECT_SSL_TLS_SNI] => [REDIRECT_HTTPS] => on [REDIRECT_HTTP_AUTHORIZATION] => [REDIRECT_SCRIPT_URI] => [REDIRECT_SCRIPT_URL] => /testimonial/val-degroote/ [REDIRECT_UNIQUE_ID] => Y9MrJh1AkDaiA2JAOaZTXQAAAFE [FCGI_ROLE] => RESPONDER [PHP_SELF] => /index.php [REQUEST_TIME_FLOAT] => 1674783526.6325 [REQUEST_TIME] => 1674783526 [argv] => Array ( ) [argc] => 0 )

312 9th Street SW, Waverly, Iowa 50677

(319) 352-4120


Val DeGroote

Val DeGroote went to her specialist for one health issue and while she was there, another one surfaced. “The doctor had ordered a scan of my bladder and the scan showed I had a large mass on one of my ovaries,” Val explained. “We were worried it was cancer so I went to see Dr. Stephen Styron at the Women’s Clinic to discuss my surgery plan. I really liked that I could get in for surgery quickly and didn’t have to wait a long time.”

Val continued, “I was nervous about the surgery because I get very sick from anesthesia. I told my primary care provider Scott Johnson and he made a note in my chart so the hospital would know about it. When the nurse called me to go over my surgery instructions, I was surprised that one of the first things we discussed was my problem with anesthesia!”

When Val arrived for surgery, the surgery team was very aware of her issue, discussed the options and put a plan in place. “I felt so comfortable before surgery because everyone was very understanding and tuned in to the need to address my nausea. Before surgery I was given aromatherapy and they placed a patch with medicine behind my ear.”

Much to Val’s relief, she did not have any nausea and felt very good after surgery. “I had surgery at 8 a.m., was home by noon and spent a pleasant afternoon resting outside. I couldn’t believe how good I felt.”

Val commented that she and her husband Don have been to larger hospitals for care, but come to Waverly Health Center when they can. “I feel we get a better level of care in Waverly because it is personalized for us. They care about you as a patient and take time to talk to you. Also, if you need more advanced care, they will send you where you need to go. It is convenient to see the visiting specialists in Waverly.”

When Val had her pre-surgery visit with Dr. Styron, she was given a folder with information for her surgery. “Everything I needed to know was spelled out for me and I had a place to keep all of my papers. It made the process very simple and easy.”

The day after surgery Val received two calls. The first one was from the surgery team asking her how she was doing and if she had any questions. The second call was from Dr. Styron telling her the mass he removed wasn’t cancer. Val said that the calls made her feel well cared for.

Now that she is healthy again, Val is able to work part-time, volunteers with the New Hartford Friends of the Library, and spends time with her three grandchildren.

She concluded, “I received such wonderful care at Waverly Health Center. Overall it’s just a great, friendly place to be!”